6/24/2016

My Batards

For some reason, whenever I make bread with rosemary it's always focaccia. and because I’m got lazy , I only ever make boules (someone please invent a combo cooker in the shape of an oval).  I decided to change up today so I made a loaf, though not a focaccia, and definitively not a boule.
But wait. Before I get down to the brass tacks of this bread, I have a story to tell.

These loafs of bread without rosemarry began as a happy little accident and ended with an earthquake and a fallen tree. Here’s the long and skinny of it.
I usually make my levain in the morning or just before I go to bed, since those two times allow me to make bread most conveniently, well this time I started the levain smack in the middle of the day, which would have meant that by the time it was done fermenting, I would have had to be awake at 3 a.m. to start the process of making bread.
I got lazy so this is what I made Batards ..
These are made with spelt levain and for the final dough mix has the levain and spelt flour, unbleached all- purpose flour. .

Simply Beautiful!
Amazingly delicious!. ..

Look at those clumbs! ,Wow! 
Beautiful. ..
Ready for the oven to bake...
Placed into baskets and dusted with brown rice flour and covered with a cloth and plastic bags, put into the fridge for 6 hours..
Batards shaping. .
Batards shaping. ..
Batards shaping ..
Batards shaping. .
Shaped them loosely into round and covered with a cloth , let rest for 30 minutes room temp. 
Ready to divide into 2 parts..
Mixed all the dry ingredients , levain and water together ,let set for 1 hour at room temperature. After 1 hour mix in the salt and oil, after do 4 sets of stretch and fold every 30 mins for 2 hours , after in the fridge for another 2 hours..
Mixing the levain with lukewarm water.
The wet ingredients ready. ..
Have all of the flours together for the final dough mix ready.....
Levain is ready after 5 hours @ room temp.
Made the spelt levain. ..
Absolutely Beautiful!

4 comments:

  1. I see what you were saying to me about the crumbs it looks absolutely delicious thank you for sharing sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you like the Batards, and I can't wait until you try this recipe 😎 πŸ’• big sister 🌺 🌻

      Delete
  2. These are amazing!! Such skills! Great crumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen, I'm very pleased with these Batards and the taste good. .πŸ˜‰

      Delete